22 February 2011

The House at Riverton

I finished reading "The House at Riverton" by Kate Morton last night. I must say I really enjoyed it, which was a nice surprise because her other book did not catch me. It is the story of a family in England prior to and during WWI, but told from the perspective of their maid who is now a 98 year old woman. bShe is being approached for information for a film being made of a suicide that happened at the family home and marked the end of their "dynast".

I found in this book, unlike The Forgotten Garden, I was hooked almost right from the start. She manages to weave a story that is compelling and intriguing, leaving little clues about secrets and mysteries that will be revealed, but not giving everything away easily. I liked the way she interposed the present with memories of the past, and having the main character a servant in the house gave lots of opportunities for things to be observed but still not understood. Her characters are well developed and believable and she portrays the confusion and despair of the war years beautifully without making you depressed.

I will say that I did find at one point nearing the end the story dragged a little. It was only once and then it picked right up again, but I wondered if the book couldn't have been tightened up a little bit. I guess I was eager to know what had really happened but it wasn't getting there fast enough for me. But then I'm impatient. Ha ha. A good read. I would recommend this to everyone who likes a good suspense romance historical novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment