I've been reading, but I was wondering the same thing as you. I need some new ideas! I tried that book by Kate Morton, but it didn't grab me. I just finished a book by Barbara Erskine that combines mystery with the supernatural. Don't roll your eyes yet. I almost did and I would have missed a book I really enjoyed! She uses the idea that you could connect with the past through spirits and they help solve mysteries and protect you etc. Even though it sounds a bit creepy, it really wasn't. It was more of a romance-suspense. Sorry, can't remember the title, but I do have another one out and I'll tell you if it's any good.
I have also been reading Boy Smarts. It was written by a man from Surrey who has worked in the public education system for 30 years and what he has learned from research and teaching/mentoring boys. I have really enjoyed figuring out how my boys think and feel, because it's way different than me! If you have a boy (pretty much all of you), this book is for you. There is also another that I have on hold at the library. I will post the author's name once I find it. I think it's Barry Macdonald.
Oh, and I lately have been reading more of Simon Brett's Feathering Mysteries. They're a really light who-dunnit with funny characters. A quick, no brainer.
And a little while ago I picked up a couple of Shannon Hale books that I hadn't yet read from her Book of Bayern - River Secrets and... darn, can't remember the name of the last one. They were good, but if you haven't yet read Princess Academy or The Goose Girl, start with those. Her writing is so lyrical and she weaves a whole new world without making it intense like in heavy duty fantasies. They're like reading and extended fairy tale, in fact many of them are just that. The Goose Girl is a fairy tale from some easter European country.
Hmmm....let me think what else I have picked up at the library lately. Not much. Dan re-read Harry Potter 6&7 and he said he enjoyed it way more this time. We've been reading these with Madi and Clay at night and they are on number 4. Clay has sort of lost interest, but Madi's going strong!
I wonder if anyone can remember the name of a book we used to check out from the school libaray about seven chinese brothers, one of whom swallowed the sea? I wish I could find it again. We found something similar, but it's just not the same. Dan and I both remember it as kids.
So, now tell me what you've found! I have another Kate Morton book on reserve and I'm going to see if I can enjoy this one. I read a review of her latest that actually sound intriguing, but the library doesn't have it yet.
I have another Kate Morton book to read as well, called The House at Riverton. I am looking forward to reading it. I'm hoping to start it right away. I'll have to mix it in with my Little House on the Prairie books.
ReplyDeleteThat is the one that I have on hold at the library. I should pick it up today. Then we can do an actual book club and compare reviews! How fun. Jen
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I made the above comment. I forgot to identify myself...
ReplyDeleteJen, you've read like a million books! How do you have time?
ReplyDeleteIt's a great avoidance tactic. Ha Ha. I don't know, I just have an unavoidable habit of reading before bed, usually too late into the night. Also, Dan works and goes to school at night and I don't really watch t.v., so when I manage to get kids to bed that is generally my down time. My kids are also getting older and, even though they want me around, they don't really want anything to do with me (lol). They've become so much more independant and go for a lot longer stretches without needing my help. It's tough when you have such little ones always needing your attention. I should probably be filling my time with other hobbies, but,ya...and you can only clean this little house so many times before losing your mind!
ReplyDelete